Archive for the ‘Bottling Notes’ Category

Today was bottling day for the milk stout. I used 3.4 oz of corn sugar to batch prime it, ending with 37 bottles and 2 bombers. The FG was 1.018.

The sample had fantastic notes of chocolate and coffee. It was very smooth and very tasty! This one should be great!

Just a quick note to say I bottled up Opus 17. Used about 3 oz (by eyeball measurement) of the strawberry extract and 2.9 oz of corn sugar. I got exactly 36 bottles, including the 4 trub bottles. Since I let it go so long, it was very clear. The FG ended up at 1.010, almost spot on. The sample was also very tasty! This one will be a great, easy drinker!

I bottled this one up tonight with 2.8 oz of corn sugar, batch primed through my new icing bucket.

Quick notes:

The auto siphon/bottling wand was great, and fast. Even quicker if the bottle is below the bucket. I also had some issues with trub and hop debris. I got 34 bottles, including 3 trub bottles (1 of which was the first bottle in the new setup, which got some air into it).

I’m going to have to research rinsing yeast some more. My experiment with that was a failure.

The hydro sample tasted of biscuit, nutty, and chocolate. I think this one is going to be amazing when ready.

FG ended at 1.012, very close to the estimate of 1.016!

Just a quick note to say I bottled this one up yesterday. Used 2 oz of table sugar to see what effect it has on the carbonation. FG came in at 1.010. With so little extras going in, it  yielded 24 bottles. Maybe could have gotten another out, too, if I had it sanitized!

Hydro sample had a surprising hint of lime. I was surprised it came through so well! I am a bit concerned about infection with this one still, remembering the lid that fell in at the end of the boil. Didn’t notice anything, but it’s too early to tell.

Should be a good lawnmower throw together beer near the end of the month!

Just a quick note to say that I bottled this one up last evening. FG was 1.016, a bit higher than last time, but within the margin of error. I used 2.3 oz of corn sugar again to batch prime.

My bottling bucket cracked, so I had to improvise a solution. Luckily, I had an empty LBK, so I used that instead. I also cold crashed the fermenting LBK for 48 hours at 45 degrees to get some of the trub to drop out. That worked pretty well, but I still ended up clogging the wand at the start.

Disappointing only ended up with 20 bottles total, including the 2 trub bottles. But, those 20 are pretty clear. The hydrotest was good, golden and hoppy!

I bottled up the Amadeus Ale, Movement 2 tonight, using 2.2 oz of corn sugar in a batch prime. It ended up with an FG of 1.011, close enough to the projection from the recipe. The hydrometer sample was pretty tasty, with a hoppy front aroma and solid malt backbone. The color is much more brown than red, but that may clear up a bit in the bottle.

In botting this up, I did have a couple snags. The dry hops seemed to float on top much more than last time, leaving lots of floaters throughout the fermentor. Combined with the trub at the bottom, I dumped a good amount and only would up with 18 good bottles, plus two trub bottles. I also had to stop and clean out some hops from the bottling wand after a clog, something I hadn’t had to do in quite a while.

I made three changes with this beer, so I can’t pinpoint the cause. This was the first beer made using my new wort chiller, and the first using an actual fermentation fridge, so that may have caused the extra trub. It’s also the first time I used Irish moss, so that may have helped keep the hops together (I’m not sure on that…I’ll be researching it). I think I will be cold crashing the APA to prepare it for bottling in the next couple days.

At any rate, based on the sample, I do think this will be a pretty tasty beer come March!

Today was bottling day for the Dubliners Stout. It ended with a FG at 1.01, right on with qbrew. This means it’s probably a bit low in the ABV, but that’s fine with me, as I wanted a session brew anyway.

The sample was outstanding, with a complex flavor and a dry finish, very similar to the Guinness flavor I was going for. I got 24 bottles out of the batch, but lost three of them that shattered while being capped. I think this is due to being stored under some full cases, and the weight must have compromised the strength of the glass.

I hope the rest hold up because I’m really looking forward to this one!